
I'll tell you what, thank God for the end of this trip coming up. For me, at least at the beginning of the last week, I feel like I have totally given up on the German language. In class, I've given up. Anke, my teacher, she can tell. I still participate in all of the activities ( when I can make it to class on time). It's just that everything has been forced crammed into my brain and it's too much for me to take. Whoever said that immersion is the best way to learn a language was lying. It's much too hard to learn a language when everyone else speaks Russian, even the teachers. Then there's all the love birds who've gone to every trip paired off like this is Paris or something. It makes me sick to my stomach. We came here to learn Deutsch, not to find love. I know that I sound like I'm bitching, but it's all true. I thought that I would have learned more language skills than I'd come here with. But that's not the case. The fact of the matter is, I really liked the culture part of coming here. It was good for me to see all of the cool old churches and buildings that figures and history had parts in. This experience really helped me appreciate and understand that a lot of things that have happened throughout history have roots in Germany. But damn the people here. They don't smile at you if you're alien to them. But they will talk to you if you show them that you can speak the language (that way they can't talk behind your back without you knowing). And the some of the people I came here with have changed too. I see sides to some people that I really can't stand and would rather do without at times. They all shall remain nameless. If you read this, and you think that I'm talking about you, then I, probably, am. And on the flip side, there are people who I had no idea about ( or rather I had made assumptions about them). They have made great impressions on me. And at times, I felt like the only sane one of the group. Not to say that I haven't had my moments. But one thing stands true, people are dramatic as hell. And I'm ready for a new change of scenary. Like everything, you have to take the bad in the same stride as the good. Maybe I did't get exactly what I thought I was going to get from this, but that's life. And life goes on, and so shall I. Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment