Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The First Week


The first week of Sommerkurz turned out to be a pretty hectic ordeal, but all in all, it turned out to be a good week. I've met so many people that it's hard for me to remember all of their names. Our group and a small group of Russians seem to be the only ones who stick to ourselves. I've come to find out that it's much more easy to meet people when I'm by myself. The language barrier is the hardest thing to deal with. I like my teacher Anke. When she speaks, she talks with her hands a lot. That helps me so much. I feel like everyone else in the class speaks and understands better than I do, but like I said before, I'm not a quitter and I am making progress in the class. We do a lot of readings and playing games in order to make it a more palpable experience.
This little town of Ilmenau is very charming and very beautiful. I just keep wondering what everyone does with their free time. I've found myself going a little stircrazy sometimes because other than the student clubs, working out, or walking around, there isn't much to do around here.
I've had my first recycling experience this week. It took about two hours for Chuck and myself to get about 4.2 Euro. And on the way to Kaufland (that's the local supermarket here), actually, on the way into Kaufland, some strange little man in all denim went out of his way, while walking towards me, to say in english "Excuse me", and grabbed me on the arm as he passed me. I know that I'm somewhat of an oddity here. It's not everyday that the people here get to see or meet an American, let alone, a Black American. So, I think all the stares that we get when we walk together aren't directed so much towards everyone else as they are towards me. But, I could be wrong. Whatever the case, I like the attention. I've never been one to scream out look at me, so it's nice to stand out in a different way. I feel kinda special in that light. I hope the luster doesn't wear off too soon.

No comments: