Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The First Day of Class

The first official day of class was the most exhausting day I've had since my first day of basic training. It started off bad because I had a hangover and I woke up to Max banging on the door. I swear that I had only closed my eyes for a few seconds. Whatever, it was worth it. We were sending Kristin off with a night that she wouldn't forget. As a matter of fact, we never ended up sending her off at all.
I couldn't and still don't understand how I ended up in the class that I'm in. It seems to me that everyone else's vocabulary is so much more extensive than mine. Though, I feel like the more that I participate, the better that aspect of my learning will be. And now I know how to send post cards, packages in the mail, and how to fill out a form for a German bank account. The post office stuff was kinda stupid because no one uses paper anymore, everything is digital. Still it was kinda interesting.
We got all dressed up to meet the mayor of Ilmenau. His position here is very different from Mark Mallory's. He gave us some background on the city's history and also what differences there he noticed between our two economies and countries. He was a very nice man and so was his wife, I think she was his wife. By that time I was ready to go back to my room to sleep, and it was only 6 o'clock in the afternoon. When we walked out of the town hall, the rest of the sommerkurz group was doing a city tour. They just so happened to be right in front of the town hall as we walked out. I don't think I'd had a more weird feeling in my life with all those eyes on us.
Frau Page took us through part of the city to see some of the shops and cafes. This city is gorgeous, the countryside is beautiful, and I've laid my eyes on some bombshells. With all that said, I don't see a reason why anyone would not want to go to school, let alone, live here. That night I had to take it easy. I didn't even have a beer. Pretty much, I made a pizza for Chuck and I, went for a short walk around campus by myself, and then I turned in to bed.
All in all, it was a good first day. I would like to think that I'm a pretty confident person anyway, but the way I see it, just like me, this experience for me can only get better with time.

1 comment:

Frau Page said...

You're correct in saying that the more you participate, the better you will get. Keep at it, even though it may be difficult.