
I understand that Bergfest was supposed be a get-together of all of the students participating in the Sommerkurs. Some of the Russians brought some of the traditional dishes that they eat back home. One American (not to be named) braught sunflower seeds, and the Deutschers braught the usual, anything pork. For what it was supposed to be it was ok. The different groups of nationalities all stuck to their own, like always, and no one really made an effort to reach out and touch somebody. I talked to the kids in my class and took a strole down to the mini zoo that they have here. Bergfest was what I had expected every other thing that we've done here to be.
As far as being halfway through it, I thought that my deutsch would get better and it has from a knowledge standpoint. But my conversational deutsch is not improving. I'm finding that I'm more likely to pick up more from a natural social standpoint than I do when I'm in class. And I talked to another guy who said that since I've been overloaded with it that it won't sync in until a few weeks, even months after I get home. I guess we shall see.
I'm feeling more and more tired the longer I am here. It really affects how I percieve things around me. My spirit is strong. I am a little dissappointed in myself that I'm not picking up things as I expected. I am finding myself beginning to think about going home and all the stress that comes from knowing that I only have one more week of Germany. My mind is starting to go back into American mode. I'm starting to feel the need to structure and plan everything. And it's stressing me out, thinking about the stress. I have to go back to relationships with friends, which means that I will have to deal with the drama, and there will be drama, all around me. I'm just at a point right now where I'm thinking about the future. My mind is starting to drift away from all of these beautiful mountains, the newness of this culture, this fantasy land for me ; to the concrete jungle, to republicans and democrats, to scheduling my classes, to smog and heavy traffic, to being just another uninteresting person. I guess that I'm already saying that I will miss this place and all that is right with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment